The Kenyan commander of a regional force set up to tackle militia violence in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo said he had resigned due to obstruction and threats to his safety, adding to doubts over whether the mission can be effective.
The seven countries of the East African Community (EAC) set up the EACRF military force last April to try to end in eastern DRC.
But its mandate expired last month and EAC leaders have expressed differing views on how it should operate, with Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi demanding a more aggressive stance than the peacekeeping mandate proposed by others.
Its commander, Major General Jeff Nyagah, said in a letter dated Thursday he was quitting due to an “aggravated threat” to his safety and a “systematic plan” to frustrate the force’s efforts by some member states.
76 total views, 2 views today