The Mukono diocese church has announced that it will continue to close its schools on the Nakanyonyi land in Mukono until the government comes up with a final solution to the land dispute.
The church’s decision follows attacks on the property late last night. In the attack the perimeter wall of about 300 meters was knocked down by the assailants.
The perimeter fence was built by the diocese around its entire property, but by now half a kilometer long, it has been knocked down by unknown persons and UPDF soldiers who dispersed a group of youths show us the demolished room.
This time the attackers attacked the side of Nakanyonyi secondary and primary schools as well as the diocese’s shoe and clothing factory and security guards firing in the air rescued them from the situation.
We spoke to the girls working in a shoe factory who say they are living in fear due to the rowdy land grabbers. They have demanded that they be allowed to shortly go back to their parents as the situation calms down.
The preachers at Bukoba archdeaconry where the land is located also said they are in a difficult time and told us their families have already left for fear of getting harmed and by 7:00 o’clock they are already in their houses due the constant hostility.
Diocesan Secretary Rev. Canon John Sebude said they would close all schools on the land as they could no longer protect students.
“These goons are ready to do everything to us and the children, we are now thinking of a temporary school closure as we wait for the government to intervene” said Sebudde.
However, Jackson Ntwatwa, the former lawyer of the residents, told us that to resolve the problems and disputes over the land, the church should agree to sit down with the residents at the same table to resolve the issue.
On Thursday last week, Minister of lands Judith Nabakooba was in Mukono and issued orders to arrest those behind the attacks and Nagalama police promised security but it all seems to have ended that day.
80 total views, 2 views today