NCDC Announces Changes In Academic Curriculum As UNEB Prepares To Release UCE Results.
The National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC) has announced a new school Curriculum which will start running during this academic year.
The new Curriculum comes with a lot of changes, among other things the scrapping of Terminal exams and changing UCE from Uganda Certificate of Education to Uganda Certificate for Lower Secondary Education ( UCLSE )
Meanwhile, the Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) announced that the 2019 UCE results shall be released on Friday January 31, 2020 and the First Lady Janet Kataha Museveni, who is also the minister for education and sports, is expected to preside over the function.
Here below are the new curriculum changes:
1. Examinations to be given at the end of year/class.
2. Terminal examinations are no longer considered
3. Objective questions have been phased out in all subjects
4. Students will be expected to produce a field work report after the real fieldwork.
5. Fieldwork studies to be school- based.
6. Teaching to be learner centered and not teacher centered
7. Formative assessment contributes 20% and summative assessment (UCE) contributes 80%.
8. S.one are to do 12 subjects . 11 are compulsory and one elective
9. In geography, Rhineland’s , North America have been phased out remaining with Rest of Africa, map use but not map reading, East Africa, China and Photographic interpretation and field work based school.
10. There will be two physics, chemistry papers
11. A candidate’s performance on examination shall be assigned a grade on a grade 7 – point scale, from grade 1 (the highest) to grade 7 ( the lowest), or ungraded (U).
12. History has two papers i.e. paper 1 HISTORY AND POLITICAL EDUCATION OF EAST AFRICA SINCE 1000 A.D (TIME 2HRS)Section A 5 questions shall be set about east African history( select 2 numbers)Section B 5 questions about pol. Educ (select 2 numbers)Paper 2 ( HISTORY AND POLITICAL EDUCATION OUTSIDE EAST AFRICA SINCE 1000 A.D√. Comprises of 8 essay questions.
13. UCE changed to Uganda Certificate for Lower Secondary Education ( UCLSE ).
14. General science for students with special needs ONLY
15. Examination papers reduced in all subjects.
16. Agriculture as a topic has also been phased out from the geography syllabus.
17. Terminal exams changed to activity of integration.
650 total views, 1 views today